We've all heard how important it is to focus on brand building during COVID-19. Experts across the globe have shown us historical data supporting the fact that brands that invest during difficult times are more successful in the end. ThinkTV and RadioConnects have done an amazing job at curating these articles. We have also created a weekly updated radio listening dashboard below along with our previously posted TV tuning dashboard to help keep you up to date on changing habits.
At the beginning of the lockdown tuning levels fell as many Canadians switched to working from home. However, since the beginning of May radio tuning has slowly begun to climb and, if not yet reaching the pre lockdown levels, the analysis is encouraging. So which brands are listening to these experts and increasing their investment in advertising? Our radio dashboard below shows RADTracker competitive insights for the top 10 Toronto radio stations (based on A25-54 AMA) for the period December 30, 2019 to March 28, 2021.
Here are a few interesting points to note:
- The Services class of advertising has held its weight of GRPs for the past 3 quarters and is up 6% compared to the first quarter of last year. This was driven by both the legal services and health care services subcategories.
- In fact, Canadian Blood Services was the 2nd heaviest brand on air from Jan – March 2021.
The heaviest brand was Government of Ontario, who tripled their weight of activity compared to the previous quarter with a variety of COVID related messaging.
- Good Food, the meal delivery service, almost quadrupled its weight of A25-54 GRPs compared to the first quarter of last year.
- The Financial class of advertising has retained its weight of activity for the first quarter of this year with increases in the General investment products, cryptocurrency & consulting services subcategories.
- Although overall advertising for the retail sector has decreased since last quarter, there are some subcategories that have retained their weight of activity such as grocery stores & supermarkets, mattress stores and jewelry stores.
Clients with radio PPM subscriptions can access the full dashboard containing advertiser and brand details either through Lens or the home page of InstarRadio PPM.
Other blog posts you may enjoy:
Posted by Jo Loup