The Super Bowl plays a critical role in the media industry in Canada as it is the most watched live sporting event on TV.
It attracts record breaking audiences driving brands to spend up to 8 times more on a 30 second spot during the coveted event.
Some of the most famous ads first aired during the Super Bowl including these listed here by Business Insider.
Our annual Hot Topic report uncovers the most detail on the Super Bowl including:
- total viewing trends with average minute audience by station
- viewing by demographic, regions and markets
- minute by minute analysis
- commercial trends by category and top brands advertising in the game
Clients with a TV PPM subscription can either access this report through the Lens platform or contact us directly.
Highlights for Super Bowl LV 2021:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are Super Bowl Champions! Tom Brady captured his 7th title and his first with his new team while helping lead them to a victory over the favoured Kansas City Chiefs. This was the first time in Super Bowl history that the game was played in the city of one of the competing teams. Tampa Bay didn’t let the opportunity slip past them as they took an early lead and didn’t look back on their way to victory in-front of their home crowd. The crowd was made up of 25,000 mask-wearing fans which included around 7,500 vaccinated health care workers in addition to approximately 30,000 cardboard cutouts of fans to make the stadium look full. Did you pay to have your face on a cut out?
- Ind2+ average viewing levels for CTV Total were slightly lower than last year but still exceeded the previous 2016 simultaneous substitution level.
- 17.6 million Canadians tuned in to the Super Bowl on one of the three networks (CTV, TSN+ or RDS) at some point during the game (a 5.5% decrease vs last year's figures).
- As usual, viewing peaked during the halftime show. The Weekend delivered an average audience on CTV Total of 9.3m slightly lower than the performance last year from Jennifer Lopez and Shakira (9.7m)
- On average 41% of Canadians watched the game on CTV Total in groups of 3 or more. This figure increased in the Toronto market to 53% whereas was only 29% in Calgary.
- In home vs out of home viewing also fluctuated by market with 96% of Ind2+ in Toronto watching CTV Total at home compared to 88% of Ind+ in the Vancouver market.
- In terms of advertisers, the communication industry had the greatest share of spots, with Bell leading the way, while the automotive category continues to reduce its presence.
Other blog posts you may enjoy:
Posted by Jo Loup