We create our hot topic audience report at the end of every TV season so that our clients have quick and easy access to the TV viewing trends in Canada.
The seasonality of TV viewing plays a critical role in programming and media planning and buying. In particular, fall remains a key period for the TV industry, as this is when many new and returning shows start. How well the shows perform during this time period determines whether they’ll return in the spring.
What our TV report covers
- Average time spent watching TV by season.
- Share of viewing trends by station groups (ie conventional vs specialty TV).
- Top performing TV stations including AMA (000s) and share of viewing.
- Top performing TV programs including ratings and percentage of live viewing.
Clients with a TV PPM subscription can access this report either through the Lens platform or from the homepage of InfoSys+TV PPM.
Fall 2022 TV viewing overview
- Canadians (aged 2+) watched on average 18.3 hours of TV per week during the fall. An increase of 1.7 hours compared to the summer period (up 10%).
- However, in the Montreal market, Ind2+ watched on average 22.3 hours per week, 15% more than during the summer and on par with Fall 2021.
- The FIFA World Cup took place during this period and its impact on TV viewing can be seen on male audiences, particularly in Toronto & Montreal. Average hours viewed for Men aged 18-49 were up 21% and 31% respectively in these markets when compared to summer 2022.
Fall TV station & program highlights
- The top 3 specialty stations remain the same as Fall 2021 in Anglo Canada for Adults aged 25-54: TSN followed by Sportsnet National and then CTV Comedy. The average minute audience grew 31% for both sports stations when compared to last year.
- Two of the top three shows in Canada were from franco stations with Chanteurs Masques taking the number one spot achieving an average minute audience of almost 1.9m Ind2+.
- In Anglo Canada, The Amazing Race Canada season, which ran between July to September, retained its number one slot (as in the summer) with just over 1.6m Ind2+ watching the finale.
Top 10 Fall 2022 TV shows
This report is created using Conex. This tool accesses Numeris TV PPM data directly and feeds it seamlessly into data visualization tools, such as Excel or Microsoft PowerBI. This allows you to spend far less time creating reports and more time finding the insights you need and acting on them.